Ronda - Church of the Holy Spirit
The building of these church started in 1485, the same year of the conquest of the city. The catholic monarchs ordered the construction of the church, which finished twenty years later. Its sober façade is situated between two vigorous buttresses, which embrace it up and down. The façade ends in a pediment, with one porthole at its tympanum as only decoration. The façade has also got one stained glass geminate window and under it, one niche with one dove representing the Holy Spirit. Without any kind of doubt, the church has the aspect of a fortification.
The church consists of one nave with three vaults each of them divided into six parts by ribs. Before reaching the toral arch, two chapels can be seen, covered both of them with star form vaults. The chapels represent the Virgin of Fatima and the Sacred Heart of Jesus.
The zone of the presbytery is covered with one eigth ribs vault. The ribs are situated over semicircular arches.
The high altar has got one barroc retable, very similar to the rococo style, containing one painting over wood influenced by the Byzantine style, representing The Virgin Mary called "de la Antigua" (the old) and also the arrival of the Holy Spirit.
It is also remarkable one of the side chapels, with the sculpture of Jesus dead and at his sepulcher, represented by one wonderful funerary case. This sculpture is taken through the streets of Ronda at a procession celebrated the Good Friday's evening.
The outside of the church has a solid aspect, due to its origin as fortification tower, part of the city wall. The church has got great buttresses, those end are Renaissance pinnacles. The masonry façade consists of a semicircular arch surrounded by one mudejar style frame.
In one word, what we can see is a very homogeneus gothic building.